Wednesday, April 3, 2013

To Bookmark for Next Year.....


This post would have been more helpful a couple of weeks ago, but, oh well - something to keep in mind for next year!

Last year I thought about purchasing Resurrection Eggs to help teach the Easter story to our kids, but they ended up being a bit pricey.  Then I found online tutorials for making our own, but for one reason or another never ended up getting around to it.  I did have the foresight to save some plastic eggs, though, so this year I was ready to go!


I found this tutorial helpful, since it gives some different options for what to include, depending on what you have around your house.  I was able to put together a set completely from things I already had, in about half an hour.  I did have to print off a clip art picture of praying hands, and I made a spear by cutting off the sharp part of a skewer, and then made a cross by hot gluing together a couple of pieces of the remainder of the skewer.

We started using our eggs about a week before Easter, using them kind of like an "Easter Advent" activity, opening and discussing two eggs each night.  Some nights I read the corresponding story from a children's Bible.  Each night we would review the previous eggs, as well, to help them remember the story better.

Because our kids are still little, I was a little unsure of how much detail we wanted to go into with some of the eggs.  So we just explained to them that the whip, nails, etc. were used to "hurt Jesus", and that he "died on the cross".  That worked well for us.




Our kids LOVED these, and looked forward to opening them each night.  By the end, all of them, even Ezra, had a good grasp of the story.  I love that we have a fun hands-on way to teach the Easter story, and I love that we now have a great new Easter tradition!

No comments: