Thursday, October 2, 2008

Necklace Jar

For years I kept my jewelry in a jewelry box, and I constantly had to struggle with necklaces that got tangled up. As I grew older and got nicer jewelry, I decided I needed a better system for storing necklaces. A friend of mine had a necklace jar, and I really liked it, but wasn't able to find anything like it. I saw a few plastic necklace jars, but not a nice glass one like she had. I decided to try and make one myself. I tried finding a glass jar with a wooden lid, but ended up finding a jar that had a cork lid, and thought that would work well. I bought some small screw-in hooks, screwed them into the cork lid, and had a nice necklace jar. I've had this jar for several years, and I love it! Not only does it look nice on the bathroom counter, but I have never had to fight with tangled necklaces again.

This has been such a great solution to my problem. All that is needed to make one is a tall jar with a cork or wooden lid, and some small cup hooks. After making mine, I decided that cork was probably better than wood, since it requires almost no effort to get the hooks screwed in, but I'm sure wood would work just as well. I haven't had any trouble with the hooks becoming loose in the cork, but they could be glued after being screwed in, especially if the necklaces to be hung are fairly heavy. I have had a hard time finding tall jars with cork lids, but was able to find one recently that I made into a necklace jar for my sister.

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product:


1 comment:

Kelly said...

What a neat idea!