Tuesday, September 3, 2013

August Garden

Looks aren't everything, right?
With the exception of watering every few days (a necessity this summer!), I have done absolutely no work in the garden for the past month and a half or so.  While it visibly shows in the abundance of weeds and now-finished plants adorning the plot, thankfully my lack of attention has not seemed to have affected production.  A decent portion of our produce intake this summer has been supplied by our little backyard garden.  July was spent enjoying peas, lettuce, and spinach, and now we're working our way through all the beans, zucchini, and cucumbers.  The tomatoes are now turning red, and we're still picking some rhubarb, too.  We're in the middle of blackberry season, as well, thanks once again to the abandoned house next door.  I didn't plan on preserving much this year, but I do have our year's supply of jam and blueberries in the freezer, and I've been freezing blackberries, as well as a few beans.  I'll  also be freezing tomatoes and zucchini, and I'm planning on trying this pineapple zucchini. 

I love coming in from the garden with a big bowl full of produce!

No comments: