Saturday, November 17, 2007

Yummy Homemade Mac & Cheese


I don't buy boxed macaroni and cheese very often, not only because the good stuff usually costs too much, but also because it really isn't very healthy. It is, however, good; better than most homemade kinds. For some reason they tend to either be kind of dry or not very cheesy. Since my husband really likes macaroni and cheese, one day I just decided to see if I could make my own. I based it off the boxed kind - using the ingredients they use, only using real cheese instead of the "cheese" powder. I just kind of winged it, adding some of each ingredient until it seemed good. It turned out really well - we both really liked it and I have made it again several times since. I wrote down the approximate amounts I used the first time, but I don't usually measure - I just estimate. Here is the "approximate" recipe that serves two people:

1 1/2 cups pasta (we like to use penne pasta)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/8 milk
3/4 cup + a little more shredded cheddar cheese

Cook and drain pasta according to directions. When the pasta is almost done cooking, prepare the cheese sauce. Place margarine, milk, and 3/4 cup cheese in a sauce pan, heat and stir until smooth. Add it to cooked, drained pasta, mix well. Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper, if desired. Pour into a baking dish, sprinkle with a little more cheese, and place in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!

I usually make more than this so I have some leftovers to send with my husband to work. One thing to note, also, is to put water in your pans soon after you make this - otherwise the cheese sticks to them and they are harder to clean.

No comments: