Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Garden


My completed garden - for this year, anyway!




One of my priorities since buying our own home was to plant a garden!  Since our yard didn't have one, I had to start from scratch.  I put it right at the back of the house, since that's the spot that gets the most sun.  I originally planned to dig half the garden this year, then finish it next summer, but it went quicker than I expected, and I am so happy I was able to do it all!  I was able to plant a variety of different things, including several things I've never tried before.  I'm considering this my "experimental" year, since it's a new garden, and since many of the things I planted are new to me.  I have already learned that I'll have to do some things differently next year; for example, my spinach hasn't grown well, and my radishes have been infected with rust fly (I think that's what it's called).  I do have a good gardening book, though, that I'll be referring to for more help!



One very happy success:  after planting this rhubard (my second try), the plant died, only for me to discover some days later that there were new leaves!  It was saved and is now doing very well!  (You can still see one of the original dead stalks in the middle of it.)





Making this garden has been so fun and satisfying.  The kiddos have enjoyed it thoroughly, as well; we spent a lot of time while digging "looking for worms"!  And Ezra added dirt as a main staple to his diet.  For some reason he enjoys it enough to keep going back for more!

No comments: