Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sewing for Baby, Part 2


Before Benjamin was born, I received what became my favorite burp cloths - they were handmade, with a layer of flannel and a layer of terry cloth.  The perfect combination of soft and absorbent and I reached for them first over all the others I had.  I kept using them with Joanna and Ezra, but Ezra latched on to them, too, and they became his comfort item.  No finger or thumb sucking for him - he has his "rag".  He's not about to give them up, so I knew I would have to make new ones for this baby.


Fortunately, I've already been making my own version of these burp cloths for a while now, both to give as gifts and to sell, so it was easy for me to whip up my own stash.  I always prefer to use what I have rather than buy new, so I ended up with a combination of boy, girl, and neutral fabrics, and I'll just use all of them no matter what we have.  It really doesn't matter anyway, especially since the original ones were pink - and Ezra carries those ones around everywhere!  As a side note - I have made him some "boy" ones, but he'll only use those in an emergency - he prefers the pink ones!


I ended up with a stash of ten burp cloths, which should be plenty!  For now they're tucked in a basket on my night stand - perfect for grabbing in the middle of the night!  =)

5 comments:

PUPPPsMom said...

Those look great! What are the dimensions? I've always used the flannel receiving blankets for burp rags. My babies a very spitty. I need a nice BIG burp rag to act almost like a poncho. But I like the idea of adding terry cloth for extra absorption!

Annaleah said...

These ones vary, since I was just using fabric I had, but typically I make them about 9 by 15 inches, which covers up a shoulder pretty well. I really think the terry cloth works great!

PUPPPsMom said...

One would think covering a shoulder would be enough, but not for my babies! :) I like the idea of adding the terry cloth to my isn't burp rags though. You must be getting close to delivery...any day now?

Annaleah said...

Not quite that close, unfortunately! August 2 (give or take)! =)

PUPPPsMom said...

Ah, Lots more time for projects then! :)