Friday, June 21, 2013

Sewing for the Boys

I feel like I always do a flurry of sewing before a new baby is born, as though I'm afraid I won't ever have time to sew again!  Of course I know that's not true - I'll always find time to do a little sewing!

This time, it was the boys' turn to receive some handmades!

Ezra received some cute polo shirts for his birthday, and I wanted to make him a pair of plaid shorts to go with them, so I did!  I used my usual tracing method to make these, and I love them.  The outfit makes him look a little too grown up, though!  =)


Benjamin must have had a growth spurt recently, because all of a sudden most of his pants were too short on him.  He's obviously harder on his clothes than he used to be, as well, because none of them were savable for Ezra - instead they had to be cut up for rags!


Just for fun, I decided to make him a new pair of pants.  I wanted something a bit more polished looking, so instead of using my tracing method for these, I decided to try this free pattern.  I used the flat front version, adjusting it to fit Benjamin, and added pockets.  I'm really happy with how they turned out - definitely more professional looking than having an elastic waist all the way around, as I would have done without the pattern.  The one change I would make is to place the pockets a bit higher next time.  Benjamin likes them, though, and has already worn them several times, which I consider the highest compliment, especially given the fact that he's quite picky about his clothes these days!  I'd love to make him another pair or two for fall, but we'll see if that happens!




No comments: