Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Little Things...

The little things really do make a big difference.

I was working on a sewing project Monday, and sat down to use my serger on some seams. I started sewing, and the tension was terrible. I played a bit with the tension, and when that didn't work, I decided to re-thread the machine, thinking maybe something was messed up somewhere. That didn't help, so I tried rethreading again, this time making sure to read the directions, in case I had forgotten how to do it properly. The tension was still as bad as ever. By now, I was quite frustrated, having spent half an hour trying to fix the tension. I was beginning to think something was wrong with the machine. About to abandon my sewing for the evening since nothing was working, I took one more quick look at the machine, trying to spot something that might be causing the trouble. That's when I saw it - the pressure foot, up instead of down on the fabric where it was supposed to be for sewing. I lowered it, and the stitches were perfect. Such a small simple thing, but it made all the difference.

How often do we overlook little things, thinking they're no big deal?

No comments: