Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dehydrating!

I'm having fun trying something new - dehydrating food!

Some friends surprised us with a dehydrator for Christmas, and I was excited to try it out! I made some banana chips first - they turned out pretty good. I didn't sweeten them, so they're not as sweet as the ones I have gotten from the store - but still good (and healthier!).


I've also made a couple of batches of apple fruit leather, which turned out great! I made one batch starting from scratch - with whole apples that I cut up and cooked, and then I tried a batch with some applesauce that I needed to use up. I was pleased with how they both turned out, but using applesauce is the way to go if you want less hands-on time! =)

I was so impressed with how easy it was to do, and I'm excited about this new way to preserve food! I'm looking forward to using my dehydrator a lot more in the future!

No comments: