Thursday, April 7, 2011

New Diaper Covers!

I'm a cheap cloth-diaperer. Although there are lots of fancy (and expensive) cloth diapers out there, I stick with the very inexpensive prefolds - and love them! I also use the most inexpensive diaper covers - Gerber plastic pants. They work really well and I really like them, but the plastic they use nowadays is not what it used to be. The large size I purchased for Benjamin barely lasted a year. I managed to patch them together enough to last until he started potty training, but I was going to need to get new ones for Joanna. Because they didn't last as long as I would have liked, I looked into some other options, but I didn't find anything that fit my needs. Then I discovered that my local fabric store carried PUL fabric - so I decided to try making my own! I first tried this pattern, which worked fine, but wasn't quite the fit I wanted. So I ended up cutting open a pair of the Gerber pants and using that for my pattern, which worked beautifully! I purchased the material with a coupon, and made eight covers for about the same cost as the Gerber ones.

I am loving these covers! They fit well, work wonderfully and the fabric feels really nice and soft compared to plastic (and they don't crinkle)! Now I'll just have to wait and see how long they last! =)

No comments: