Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Handmade Christmas

I love giving gifts that I have made - I love giving gifts and I love making things, so it's the best of both worlds! This Christmas I decided to give everyone at least one homemade gift. These projects took up most of my free time for a couple of months before Christmas (especially December). I had a lot of fun doing it, though, and it is a goal of mine this year to give even more handmade gifts. This year, though, I'm determined to start my projects earlier in the year so I don't end up so rushed at the end!

Here are some pictures of the gifts I made this Christmas....


A dog toy for my in-laws' poodle, Molly.

A double layer fleece blanket for my sister.

I saw a candle mat similar to this at a store - and decided to try making one myself!

I made a couple of tote bags - using the instructions from Anna at Pleasant View Schoolhouse.
I added about 6" to the handles to make them over-the-shoulder totes rather than grocery totes.

A stitched picture for my mom.

I made a few of these great travel pouches, from Cynthia Treen's book, Last Minute Fabric Gifts. I loved the way they turned out so much that I had to make one for myself, too!

I made kitchen towels for my mother-in-law.

Coasters and a box to keep them in, also for my mom.

These mini journals were for my youngest sister, to go along with the antique school desk we got for her. I made these using instructions from Jessica at Lost Button Studio.

My father-in-law received a bag of divinity - I had never attempted this before, so it was a new experience for me!

My final project was Peanut Brittle for my dad and brother. I snuck some into Seth's stocking, also, after he tasted it and said he wanted some, too! =)

I really enjoyed making all of these gifts! Now I'm going to be on the lookout for new ideas for next year!




No comments: