Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Homemade Stain Remover


When I finished up the last of my commercial stain remover several years ago, I decided not to buy any more but instead use natural products.  There are many different natural items that can remove stains; in fact, I've seen whole pages that list different items and the type of stain each removes.  That is way too complicated for me!  I really wanted one simple item or mixture that would remove most stains.

I came across this recipe in Natural Home magazine:
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup baking soda
3 cups water
Mix together in a spray bottle and use to pretreat stains.

I was pretty impressed with how well it worked.  It didn't necessarily remove everything, but it did at least help minimize most stains, and I was pretty happy with it.  Along with this solution, I also used dish soap to treat grease stains.

Then, I found this recipe online somewhere (I can't remember where):
1 part Dawn dish liquid
2 parts hydrogen peroxide
Mix in a squirt bottle.

Now, I'm not sure just how natural Dawn is (that blue!), but this stuff works wonderfully!  It has removed everything I've tried it on - grease, spaghetti sauce, berries, etc.  I love that I can use just one thing on everything.  I always try to put it on stains right away, but even when I apply right before washing it still seems to work great.  One thing that I found funny was that it starts out blue, but after a few days turns completely clear because of the hydrogen peroxide!

A recent example of the power of Dawn!


So, there's two choices - take your pick!  I love that the vinegar solution is completely natural, but the Dawn works so well, that I'm willing to compromise a little to keep our clothes looking nice!  And I'm sure it's at least a little better than regular stain remover (and it's much cheaper!).

No comments: